Monday, January 21, 2013


Well, we got a phone call this morning from President Deere. He said, "Well, Elder Kirkham, the Spain Malaga Mission is full of surprises."

He told us that a new missionary was coming this week to Torrevieja. !!!!!!!!! So it will be three of us these last 2 weeks. AHHHHHH

He's been in the states serving while waiting for his visa but he´ll be coming straight from the states and he'll know nothing about Spain. So the two of us will be "training" him then I'll leave and it will be the two of them.

Fun surprises. But it should be really fun. And if its not, I only have 2 weeks. hee hee hee hee hee

Randomly throughout the day I will realize that I´m going home. That I'm leaving Spain. That I´m  leaving this life and I don't know what to do when I get back. Obviously, I have things to do but it will be so strange.

I´m thinking about going to Wyview just for spring. Because I don't want to have to deal with the problem of finding good off campus housing. And I love Wyview anyways. I´ve told the idea to my two buddies and they seem to be down for the idea. They feel pretty much the same.


Anyways.
This week we did a little more moving and fixing the new piso for Marcela. Had the funniest English class I've ever taught on my mission. We did a game where you had to DESCRIBE with English words another English word (taboo or password kind of game) but it just ended up caveman talk with lots of gestures. It was hilarious. Adrian (recent convert) was the funniest.

We had a little miracle this week. We planned to visit a less active family and they weren't home so we decided to talk to people around there and lo and behold we see Adrian's friend that went to his baptism. We catch up to him and chat and end up going to the capilla and teaching him the first lesson. (we had casually taught him before with Adrian)  We committed him to be baptized and he accepted. He said he felt something really cool at Adrian's baptism, something he had never felt before and he wanted to know how to feel it again. 

So the new American missionary will have Dani (that's his name) to teach and baptize.

We ate again with the Scottish and English couple. They told us stories about their mission in Croatia.  It was fun. They like me because I´m an educated American, and I use my adverbs correctly. hahahahahaha  I told them it's because my parents taught me so well. They're really funny and they're really dedicated people. It's not so easy for them to go and be active in the church. They could have plenty of excuses, but they go every week and talk in broken Spanish to the other members. Now there's plenty of other English speaking members in the branch but this couple is special. The Logans.

We're helping two members come back to church and they're doing really well. They've come 4 or 5 consecutive weeks already.

We had an attendance of 66!!!! which is great because last year's average was 56. So good good good. Good start.

I have no more stories. The church is true. I´m trying to finish the Book of Mormon again before I get home. We'll see what happens.

I love you all. Have a great week.

Elder Kirkham





January 14, 2013


Well, for those of you who don't know what a mudanza is- it's MOVING TIME!!!!
Ok, not for us. Just for one of the members. Saturday we spent from 8 in the morning to 4 in the afternoon helping one of the sweetest Ecuadorian ladies, Marcela. She's so sweet. After that she drove us to Cartagena for ADRIAN´S BAPTISM!!!!!! It was good.
When it came time for the actual ordinance, we went into the bathroom to get into the font (well, elder Neira baptized him, I was just there too), I opened the door to the font and a giant cloud of steam came out. Adrian looked at me and said "I´m not getting in that!"
But of course he did. It was really great afterwards. We sang "I am a child of God" for the closing song and I got to relax and sing and ponder while someone else played the piano. It was a nice spiritual moment. After the baptism we were driving home and he said, "Let's go to the club and celebrate!" We all looked at him with "WHAT!" kind of faces and then he said, "Ok, just joking".
The next day I did the ordinance of the gift of the Holy Ghost. He said he felt just an amazing feeling during the prayer. He´s absolutely crazy but he can feel the spirit.
Then today we spent another full day helping to organize and put things in their place at Marcela´s new piso. It looks a lot better. She's so nice.  She feeds us good food.
The grandma of one of the members is in town for a few weeks. SHES CRAZY!!!!!!!! She gets up in the middle of church and starts sharing that God gives us all gifts and we need to share them and she starts showing some necklaces she had made. Bad message...no...just BAD TIMING.
It was so, so funny. And I had to translate it. he he he he he he
I´m tired. But happy.
It's weird to think about going home. I don't know what to think.
I also don't know what else to write. So have a great week. I love you all so much.

Elder Kirkham

No comments:

Post a Comment