Monday, June 4, 2012

WOW! I haven´t even been here a week and I already love it!!
 
My new companion is Elder Brown. He´s from South Jordan Salt Lake. He´s 6´7´´. We were in the same district in Motril (he was in Nerja) and in Sanlúcar I was his district leader (he was in Puerto de Santa María). Now we´re companions and he´s MY district leader (hurray!!!!!). Needless to say I am NOT sad that I´m not district leader anymore. Oh and Elder Pearce is my Zone Leader here. (also in our district).
 
So we already know each other really well. When you don´t know your companion the first 2 weeks are weird because you don't know what your comp is like. But that didn´t happen here. We just went right to work.
 
The WARD let me repeat, WARD, that I´m in is the newest in SPAIN. It just divided last month. We´re about 15 minutes outside of Murcia Capital and we were part of one of their wards. But we just split. BUT we still have to go to Murcia to go to church.
 
Our ward is made up of a lot of pueblos. A LOT of pueblo work. Molina the actual city is pretty small but our ward boundaries are about 2 hours driving distance. We´ve started doing Family Night Groups rotating in members houses. They're going really good.
 
I feel like I´ve been here more than 5 days. We have a LOT of investigators right now. A lot of GOOD investigators right now. The biggest problem is getting them to church because in Spain you take the bus. And our ward starts at 9 (10:30 is too early for Spaniards) that's a hard thing. But the Stake is working on putting a chapel in Molina. And then they´re going to Split the Stake soon and then they want to put a branch in one of our strong pueblos. AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! So much work to do!!!!!
 
The work is REALLY different outside of Andalucía. The people are REALLY different. The accent is REALLY different. There are a LOT of people from Morocco. Almost everything is translated into Arabic. There are also a LOT of South Americans here.
 
It's HOT HOT HOT here in Molina. We live on the 7th floor of our building (top floor) so we get a really big patio/balcony. So last night we pulled our mattresses out onto the balcony and slept under the stars. It was LOVELY!
 
The ward is strong. There WAS a lady who played the piano but she found out that I play so she´s put it on me now. (I don´t mind)
 
Everything is really squished together here. (unlike Sanlúcar where everything is spread out)
The water here is NASTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its sooooo hard. It tastes like you're drinking metal. But that's ok.
There are once again Hermanas in my district.
My mission is going by REALLY fast. I love the mission. We´re working hard. Having success. Sweating a lot (although it's not as humid here)
Spaniards don´t understand the concept of FASTING because they eat like hobbits (lots of little meals). We had to explain MULTIPLE times to our investigators. But its funny.
 
Our mission leader and his wife played a prank on me. We went to their house and Elder Brown told me they were a family that didn´t go to church anymore. We walked in and the wife is wearing a denim skirt that goes to her ankles, turtle neck, young woman medallion, hymns playing in the background, kneeling down in front of a picture of Joseph Smith surrounded by candles.
 
I freaked out when I first saw her. They played the prank for a few minutes and then were like "JUST KIDDING!!!!!"
Then they fed us this HUGE meal. I was freaked out at first but then it was funny. (mostly because I´ve done similar things to other missionaries)
 
It's been a really good week. I love it here. I wish it wasn´t so hot but, it is what it is.
 
I love you all. I´m praying for you. The gospel is amazing. I am so grateful for my Savior and for his gospel. It is truly a blessing in my life to know he loves me and that I can be with my family forever.
 
Love you all
 
besitos
 
Elder Kirkham

No comments:

Post a Comment