Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Hello family and friends. How are all of you. HOW IS IT ALREADY DECEMBER??????????????
Well this weekend we baptized a little girl named Nazaret. Everything went great. She had a lot of family from Madrid who are not members. Everyone could feel the spirit. It was a really great day. I´ll send a picture.
WE BROKE THE CURSE!!!!!
Another investigator Antonio came to the baptism (which was in Granada because there´s no baptismal font here) and he is just really excited about his baptism. He was talking about it yesterday at Church. Which is scheduled for the 14th of January. We´re working with him to quit smoking before then and last night we set goals for him to gradually cut down. This morning he called us and said HE DIDN'T SMOKE THIS MORNING. HURRAY!!!!! He said that is when he has the strongest desire to smoke and he kicked it today. HURRAY!!!!!!!
Like I said we had to go to Granada on a bus and we were waiting for our BRANCH PRESIDENT to come... and he wasn´t coming, so we had to get on the bus without him. Right as we were pulling out of the station he came up to the bus and we yelled STOOOPPPP!!!! And he got on. PHEW! I sat down next to a couple from New Jersey who were here on vacation. It was so strange talking in English. REALLY talking in English-not the weird mix that I SOMETIMES get to speak with other American missionaries. He was Jewish and she was Chinese. he made a joke about that- how we Mormons are smart and have lots of Mormon babies and all the Jews just marry Asian women...........I laughed........
Also this week, the mission met our goal of over 300 baptisms this year. Which is historic in Spain. And we still have almost a month left of the year. Its been a REALLY great last few months. I Love being a missionary. Its just so great to be a part of someone´s conversion. To see them change their lives and take steps to follow Jesus Christ. What greater thing could I be doing in this time of my life? Seriously? Its so awesome.
Well, we sinned yesterday. On Saturday after the baptism our bus home was full so we had to go on the later one (a LOT later) and we got home late and hungry so we got Kebab to celebrate and because we´re lazy. In our laziness we forgot that it was FAST SUNDAY!!!!!!!! and that we had an EATING APPOINTMENT with a less active family the next day. See, almost everyone here in Spain fasts: dinner and breakfast because LUNCH is the biggest meal of the day. So we didn´t fast yesterday. But its not like we haven´t fasted already this month. Oops.
It's really cold here. Its 10º in the morning. in CELSIUS. Which i don´t know how that converts. I just know that it feels REALLY cold. Especially with no heat in the house. But we manage. We actually have the tiniest tiniest heater ever- that's a fan with a heater coil behind it. Which we can´t have on while we sleep because we might die. But in the morning it is a treat to stick your feet right in front of it. As not to die.
There are TONS of Christmas lights all over the city. Which I assume will look nice because they haven´t lit them yet. I hope I get to see them. Here there's a holiday called dia de los reyes (day of the kings) which is the first week of January. Its to celebrate the 3 kings that came to bring Baby Jesus the three gifts (which I can´t spell) That's when they all give gifts here. Its kind of nice in such a Catholic country because Christmas is more about family and Christ centered.
This week is Elder Rodriguez´s birthday as well. I´ll make him a little treat. I don´t know what. I´m cooking alot here in Motril. Its nice.
Ok. I love you
This is probably my last full week in Motril but I´ve been here for almost 6 months. 1/4 of the mission is a long time.
Love
besitos
Elder Kirkham

No comments:

Post a Comment